Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer almost over

I can't believe it but the summer is nearly gone and what have I done? Not much. I worked an awful lot, but tried to show the kids some fun when I didn't have to. Thanks to Grandpa & Grandma "T" the kids were treated to Six Flags passes and have enjoyed a few days there in their free time this summer. I did manage to take the three younger kids to Utah for a few days since my sister was there for a vacation with her kids, since her hubby is over in Iraq. They had a great time and we were able to hike to the Timp cave and yes even I was able to do it, but was shocked at how much the high altitude affected me, but to be real I am also very out of shape, so it was a nice combination for me. We wanted to go down the Alpine Slide but got rained out on that one so we took the kids to BYU and bowled, they had a great time and I thought between Ashlee and Jenna the floor was going to break when they tried to "throw" the bowling ball down the lane. It was fun for them though and that night we topped it off with going to see 17 Miracles which gave my two that went a whole new appreciation for the pioneers and they were able to see and feel some of what was sacrificed for all of us, truly humbling for me. Steven said he LOVED it and was very grateful for all they did. Kaley as well.
We love being able to fly on SouthWest but its hard to non-rev this time of year and we proved that by sitting in airports for 7-8 hours at a time both ways just to get out and back, but it was worth it.
So, while in Utah, Bob was trimming the bushes in the back and something flipped up and hit the back sliding glass door and shattered one side, but only one pane. They are supposed to replace it on Thursday, only around $400. Last week, on Wednesday Bob called me while I was getting ready for work and I assumed he was calling to tell me he got there, but instead told me he had just been in an accident. He was on I-75 and was sandwiched between two cars. Our Honda is now in the shop looking at somewhere around $8,000 in damages. I am very glad Bob was okay though he is still a bit sore from the whole thing, you can always replace a car, but not the person who was in it.
We continue to have those "missionary" blessings, but somehow I try to stay positive through the whole thing. I figure its better to have a good attitude than to let it get me down. Most of the time this works, but I must admit wondering exactly what lessons I need to learn at times when I feel I have been humbled greatly, but then being reminded by my dad that Heavenly Father really loves me to bless me with so many trials. I don't doubt I am being taught through the refiners fire, but still have the faith to always look forward and trust in him. I realize just how lucky I am to have the wonderful family and friends that I have and the fact that I am able to be here to experience life I know is a privilege and I try very hard not to take that for granted. Like the Panda Bear in Kungfu Panda says today is a gift that is why it is called the present. It makes me stop and think so I really like that one.
We are down to just over three months before Michael will be in our home again and we all can't wait. He has been an awesome missionary and is still a Zone Leader and doing a wonderful job. He of course has had trials just like we have but I have no doubt some of that for both of us is the threat he is to Satan in bringing others to the gospel. He is a great kid. Nate will no doubt be the same. Kaley and Steven already both want to go and they will be equally as good or better. Ashlee may go and may not but she prays that everyone will read the Book of Mormon each night so you know where she stands with her testimony. I have been so blessed with awesome kids who do what is right despite their lame mom. Bob is so good to remind them what is really important and loves to spend time with them doing things they like and he loves it. Right now it is football with Steven, but it was soccer for years with Michael, Nate and Kaley, then basketball with Kaley and swimming with all of them, Ashlee loves to have him throw her in the air and "watch" her swim and do flips etc. He is a great dad and I am blessed to have such a great husband that always supports me in all I do, he is truly made for me! Well school starts in one week, I think we are ready but I am sure there is something I have forgotten but it will all be good. I am one lucky lady to have such an amazing family-----truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment